Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

Had a wife but couldn’t keep her

Put her in a pumpkin shell

And there he kept her very well

Today we did an art project based on this verse.  The idea was very simple, read the verse to Gracie and then have her make a drawing based on what she heard.  We also looked at the mini pumpkins we have to get an idea of how different they are and to give her something to go off of for the drawing.  In the art book it was slightly more guided, directing the children to make a large pumpkin the center of the drawing.  The example they had was beautiful, a lovely pumpkin turned into a house and a happy couple standing together proudly.   I, however, wanted to just see what she would come up with since she had never heard that verse before, so I didn’t direct her at all and I didn’t let her see the example that was provided.   The result was adorable and hilarious and oh so Gracie.

 

IMG_8491

 

From top left we have:

Peter, who is apparently very square, and his wife who is small and sitting on a couch.

Then we have his wife sitting on her bed.  She’s on the phone with her boyfriend Gracie said.  That’s why Peter put her in the pumpkin shell.  She has a dog and a cat under her bed.

Last we have the poor wife, trapped in a pumpkin and unable to get out.  

Finally Gracie decided to write the verse all around the drawing, without any of my help (“no mom, I know it, I can do it!!!!!!”)

 

I plan on doing this again with other verses she has never heard.  If anything it’s good for a laugh!!!

2 comments:

  1. haha! That's great Alice! I love kids perspective on things--I need to do this with the boys. We've been learning poems and I'd love to see what they would draw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, thanks for your sweet comment at waddleeahchaa, I can tell we are all of the same mind set, "LET THE CHILDREN DO IT!". Gracie's interpretation of the nursery rhyme is funny and very insightful. Have fun with these creative writing activities! :) joyce

    ReplyDelete