Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I have been inspired.

So yesterday I read this post at Not Inadequate and I was intimidated yet inspired to figure out just exactly how unit studies work.  It just so happens that the kids and I had started a book on Penguins yesterday and after doing research til almost midnight I decided to turn it into a unit study.  I am a unit study virgin, never did one when I was a classroom teacher and I've never done one here at home but it seems to make so much sense with how my kids learn.  

My unit study research turned me onto lapbooking and there are about a million resources for figuring them out.  Just google.  Then google a subject you are interested in and lapbook together.  Amazing.  How did I not know about this?

So yeah.  We're doing a unit study on penguins and there will be a lapbook at the end.  Stay tuned to see how it turns out!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so happy that you were encouraged to take the plunge! Good job! I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that Hands of a Child has a Penguin project pack. They have a new website (which is abyssmal, but their stuff is great), but I think this might be the link -
    http://www.handsofachild.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=449&category_id=230&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm actually standing here in my kitchen making cake box cookies now. Mine are yellow cake with coconut in them since I have nothing chocolate in the house. So you've inspired me twice today. You should give yourself a pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penguins! We studied them a few weeks ago and did a cool math lesson. You can check it out at our blog. This is such a fun unit. :) joyce

    ReplyDelete