Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Where we are now.

I've decided the first year is home schooling is a little bit like the first year of marriage.  You each have quirks and expectations and you dance this weird dance trying to get your point across while not hurting the other persons feelings. 

Yes, it's kind of like that.

We have done so many things this year.  In spite of all the changes we've made and the books I've bought and the plans I've pitched to the side I know we've learned a great deal.

So.  Where are we now?  Well, it looks like this:


 Two books and a notebook.

We started the 30 minutes a day book 3 weeks ago.  I like it because it covers the basics of phonics and math.  Gracie likes it because she can do it without my help (mostly).  It gives me the feed back I need without being overwhelming.  There are only 50 chapters and she does 4 a week so it was kind of perfect to fit in this time of year.  I picked it up at Childrens Book of the Month Club online.  I think it was like $5 on clearance. 

What Your First Grader Needs to Know is a very cool book.  It's set up by subject, contains music and art and is a good overall book of knowledge.  It has information and ideas on projects for the subject at hand.  It feels Classical to me, but take that with a grain of salt since I haven't really done much research on Classical schooling.  Very no pressure, lots of pictures, good literature, easy to digest.  Just what we need.  I picked it up at Barnes and Nobel for $18.  I believe these books go up through 6th grade.

Lastly there's the notebook.  I come up with a daily topic (I have a link on my sidebar for a website that has ideas) and Gracie writes her response and draws a picture.  Again, simple and to the point.  Great for practicing handwriting and creative writing.  Also gives insight into her 6 year old head which I like and I know she will treasure as she gets older.


So that's where we're at!  Where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment