Thursday, July 25, 2013

2013/14 Plans

I just finished ordering stuff for the kids this year. So. Much. Fun.  I love ordering school books.  I also love hitting back to school sections, can't wait to go pick through Target soon!!

So, this is what I have for this year:

Gracie- 4th grade

Language Arts- Galore Park Junior English level 3.  This is a curriculum from the UK. Level 3 is for ages 9+ which is right where she's at. I like this curriculum because it feels very classical to me and I really like the classical mentality especially for reading and writing. I think this will be a challenge for her because it's a lot different than the typical fill in the blank stuff she's done up to this point but I also think that she will learn leaps and bounds because of how this book is laid out.

Math- Math U See Gamma and Delta. Yep, you read that right. I intend to get her through 2 levels this year. Basically because Math U See 4th grade level is Delta but I feel the math we did last year was pretty weak so we are going to start with Gamma as a review. I love Math U See. Gracie didn't like it in 1st grade so I tried a couple other things the last 2 years but I have decided we are going back to Math U See. I love that they have a continuum of levels right through Calculus which will be important should we home school all the way through and if we don't Math U See will give her more than enough foundation for any other curriculum she may encounter. Gamma emphasizes multiplication and Delta emphasizes division.

Handwriting- Handwriting Without Tears Cursive Success



Ian- 2nd grade

Language Arts- I'm piecing together work for him this year from a lot of different workbooks and other things I've picked up along the way. Our focus will be improving his reading skills and getting him confident to start writing.

Math- Math U See Beta which is the 2nd grade level for them.  If he flies through it we will start Gamma as well. He loves Math U See and he's great at math so this was an easy choice.

Handwriting- Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power.  I got him the little chalk slate for this year too. Helping him gain confidence is the goal. He is not a fan of writing and I'm hoping this will make it fun.


Both Kids-

History- American History and we'll cover Colorado History as well since that's what the 4th grade classes do in public school. A trip to 4 mile historic park and a trip to the state capitol will happen.  Still planning on a trip to DC, probably in the fall of 2014.

Science- Whatever we feel like doing whenever we feel like doing it.


So there you have it! What are you planning for this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment